What is geo-targeted advertising and why is it important?
Geo-targeted advertising refers to serving users advertisements based on their location. The audience is segmented by their geographical location and the ad copy is customized to make it specific to audiences in those specific regions. Digitally, the ads are then delivered using location-based technology. In magazines, the ads are simply placed based on target market.
Geo-targeted advertising helps brands grab user attention in a relevant setting and mindset and address their specific needs and desires. This form of advertising helps to:
- Serve personalized content to increase engagement
- Make businesses locally relevant
- Increase advertising ROI
- Improve user experience
- Serve offers and discounts to local audiences
- Promote local marketing events
What are the advantages of magazine advertising?
Did you know magazine advertising yields the highest return on ad spend? The benefits of magazine advertising to promote your business include:
- Better targeting: Different magazines cater to specific target groups. The targeting can be by location, profession, interests (like decorating, travel, sports or technology), and hobbies (like DIY or cooking).
- Longer shelf life: Undoubtedly, magazines have a much longer shelf life than all media. Many consumers save magazines as references, conversational content, and coffee table requirements.
- Circulation: Subscribers are consumers who have a direct interest in the content--and paid for it. In addition, the 'pass along' circulation is exponential. People browse through magazines when they find them in doctor's waiting rooms or on coffee tables at a friend's house magazine. This action of browsing ultimately increases magazine ad exposure.
- Brand building: Some magazines are reputed in their field and an ad in these can boost the prestige value associated with your brand.
Why do national companies advertise locally?
Studies show that millennials are losing trust on big corporations and most Gen Z customers never liked big brands in the first place. This changing customer behavior forces national companies to consider a "local" approach in their marketing endeavors. What national companies discovered, was that local advertising has many benefits.
Remember that consumers search for information with local intent and read local reviews before making a purchasing decision. Local advertising helps tailor interactions with these customers. Advertising locally helped national brands to consider regional and local differences in their target audience and adjust/customize their messaging accordingly to increase engagement. Local marketing also helps to make your company a part of the community and humanize your brand.
Local advertising also helps informing consumers which local stores carry your products, where you are launching your brand, or if you are opening a store in a new market.
Are there ways to build a print and digital strategy with a small budget?
Rather than building your complete print and digital strategy on a shoestring budget, it's best to begin with a tight budget and scale it up as your marketing efforts yield returns. What you need is a media partner who can negotiate rates lower, help optimize your budget, and ensure your marketing efforts yield added value. This type of partner will ensure better targeting and a disciplined execution of your strategy.
Here are some important steps to follow:
- Decide your business goals and translate these into your marketing goals
- Make a concrete plan that is focused on a few channels to begin with
- Test and implement your marketing plan
- Don't forget to measure the returns
- Be agile to identify what's working and tweak the plan accordingly
What are ways to target digital campaigns, locally?
Many companies are now focusing on localized digital campaigns to target prospective customers in specific geographies. This uses location-based technology, allowing campaigns to be set up by city, zip code, IP address, device ID, or even GPS signals. It gives the opportunity to tweak your content according to the specific needs of people in different regions.
Data plays a huge role in targeting digital ads. An addition to location-based data, first party data is one of the most critical elements and helps marketers achieve a 1:1 match with their target consumers. It's important to inquire how you can overlay this data in your digital media solutions.